Answer: This year we’re flipping cupid on his head and ranking the top 10 books that broke our heart. Some broke our heart a little and some broke our heart a lot, yet many on the list are our favorite reads of all time. Let’s just hope your Valentine’s Day ends with a little more happiness....
1. I Capture the Castle (Dodie Smith) – We love you Cassandra!
2. Gone with the Wind (Margaret Mitchell) – Why Rhett? Why Scarlett? Why?
3. Never Let Me Go (Kazuo Ishiguro) – What a great novel. We figured out what was going on just in time to enjoy the super sad ending.
4. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) – Hopefully your Valentine’s Day looks nothing like this novel.
5. The Book Thief (Markus Zusak) – It’s never a good thing when death narrates your story....
6. Birdsong (Sebastian Faulks) – Such a complex novel and through it all is a tragic, tragic love story.
7. The Time Traveler’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger) – After Back to the Future who would have thought time travel could be so messy... Poor Clare. Poor Henry.
8. Love Story (Erich Segal) – It’s been 15 years since we read this one and it still gives us a burning sensation in our throat. So heartbreaking!
9. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks) – We don’t make a habit of reading too much by this author, but the very, very end of this one did us in. Soooo touching.
10. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery) – Funny, lighthearted, yet incredibly touching at the end.
What other novels broke your heart? Have a great week and head on over to The Broke and the Bookish to join the fun!